Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Dale Pogue's First Fight at School

I only had one fight during all of elementary school. Rooster fights don't count! I have no idea what it was about but it was a dramatic production befitting Ali. The two fighters paraded across the school yard to the gravel road at the side of the school. We then marched on to OUR property! A safe haven. No one could touch us there! A circle was made by all the boys and the two contestants moved to the center of the ring. . We sparred a bit, never really getting in a good punch, when someone said, "Here comes Miss Lovett!". Smugly I said, "We're safe here. This is my property!". Apparently Miss Lovett did not understand private property rights for she marched across the gravel road and as the onlookers scattered, she came up and took us both by our ears.(We had perfectly good hands) Holding firmly to our ears she led us into our empty classroom.(It was recess). She bent us over the front desk and with her wooden paddle she gave us three solid licks. They hurt, but not nearly so bad as the thought that this woman beating me was the love of my life! I loved Miss Lovett. The entire legal scheme collapsed later that day when Miss Lovett informed my parents of her action. Instead of hiring a lawyer like any good parent would, my dad found a rather heavy belt and applied some more impressions to my wounded ego. Not a good day, but a memorable one.

For more wit and wisdom of Dale Pogue, go to Dale's website: http://dalepogue.com/

No comments: